The first 18-hole golf course in the valley, Thunderbird Country Club also developed the concept of building homes on golf courses - a model adopted by other golf courses around the world. Fairway adjacent home sites with their nonstop views encouraged experimentation by renowned local and international architects. The club opened in January 1951 and the first homes were occupied later that year.
Property address: 70-612 Highway 111
Property name: Thunderbird Cottages
Architect: William F. Cody
Date built: 1952
Status: HPC 2003 Survey
Part of the original Thunderbird Country Club campus, fourteen cottages were built for use by members. The long gable structures are known for being positioned on the site to maximize privacy and views. Today, the remaining twelve are threatened with demolition so the site can be redeveloped.